The church is a place where the Christian community worships, just like temples for Hindu and mosques for Muslims. Christian weddings also take place in the church in the presence of the priest and Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the God of Christians. It is open to all the communities, anyone can go and perform prayers or light a candle there. In the world, there are so many historic and famous churches with iconic architecture, you feel calm, peaceful, and relax.
Types of church
- Pilgrimage church
- Conventual church
- Collegiate church
- Evangelical church structures
- Alternative buildings
Dress-code in a church
There is no dress code for going to the church but some things should be kept in mind.
- Do not wear dresses above the knee or tank tops or sleeveless clothes that expose your skin, it is a place to worship not a party or event place.
- Jewellery should not be much heavy or bright, keep it simple.
- Do not wear transparent or lacy clothes.
- Try not to wear jeans, leggings.
- You can wear dark colored pants with a dark top to style with.
- For women, Don’t wear sneakers, prefer heels or flats when visiting a church.
- For men, leather loafers, oxfords or slip on dress shoes will be a perfect match.
- Wear clean clothes.
Best day to visit a church
The lord’s day of Christianity is Sunday which is preferred to be the first day of the week. You can visit the church on any day, but if going for a specific reason, then go on Sunday. Many people visit the church on Christmas, as it is a festival of Christians.
Some famous churches in the world
Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain
- Sagrada Familia is said to be one of the world famous churches located in Barcelona, Spain. It is a large roman catholic church. It was designed by Antoni Gaudi (1852-1926) which makes this church a sight of attraction. Though it is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, one fact about it is that it is still not fully completed. The reason for not getting completed is it’s huge size and time taken to build it.
- The timing of the church differs according to the days and months. Do check the timings before going there and also, try to book the tickets in advance or you can go buy tickets outside the church as well but the last tickets are available only till the last 30 minutes of the closing time.
Saint Peter’s Basilica in Rome, Italy
- This church was constructed in 109 years, from 1506 to 1615. What makes this church famous is that it was designed by famous artist Michelangelo and it’s dome is the tallest in the world with a total height of 136.57 meters (448.1 ft) from the floor to the bottom.
- This is the most popular church of Italy and the largest Church in the world with an internal area of 15160 square meters that stretches over 186 meters in length.
- This church has different timings of different months which opens every day from 7:00 in the morning to 7:00 in the evening, April to September and from 7:00 in the morning. to 6:00 in the evening, October to March.
Notre Dame de Paris of Paris, France
- The Notre Dame de Paris church is also labelled as the Notre Dame Cathedral. This is one of the most beautiful and famous churches in Europe. Its dramatic towers, spire, stained glass, and statuary are mind blowing, and it’s architecture reflects the traditional medieval style in the forms of columns.
- This peaceful place is one of the major tourist places and also one of the popular Churches in France, which keeps inspiring the artists and architecture.
- This church is open from Monday to Friday, 8AM to 6:45PM (no midday closure) and on Saturday and Sunday from 8AM to 7:45PM (no midday closure).
Westminster Abbey, London England
- The ideal Westminster Abbey is located in the London City, and also the most famous church of London. It is a large Gothic Church which is just near to the west of the Palace of Westminster. Westminster Abbey is the World Heritage Site and Britain’s coronation church since 1066.
- The word Abbey also means a kind of old folks and home of the famous dead white people.
- This church is usually open for visitors from Monday to Saturday throughout the year. The timings of this church is from 9.30am to 3.30pm and on Wednesdays there is late opening to 6pm.
Churches are not only for Christians but are open to everyone. It gives a whole new level of vibe and peace when you enter into a church. Not only just the famous ones, go visit any church in your city, but it’ll also make your mind relaxed and will give you some good time. Also, these are the famous churches in the world, don’t forget to visit these churches if you’re traveling to those countries.